Data Collection Jewish Genealogy
The Jewish cemetery in Freienwalde (Brandenburg) (1800-1932)
In 1671, Elector Friedrich Wilhelm issued an edict permitting the resettlement of Jews in the Mark Brandenburg who had been expelled about 100 years earlier. Only a few years later, in 1674 and 1677, the first Jews settled in the small town of Freienwalde with the ruler's consent.
In the 17th century, the local Jewish population acquired a piece of land at the foot of the Galgenberg in order to bury their dead there in the future. The burial ground also served as a cemetery for Jews from the neighbouring town of Wriezen until 1730.
More than 100 gravestones are said to have survived the Nazi era. However, many of them had already fallen over by 1947. The cemetery grounds, which resembled a field of rubble, were cleared and levelled by the town administration by 1950.
Although the gravestones have long since disappeared, we still know the names and often the years of birth and death of over a hundred people buried in the cemetery thanks to a list drawn up in 1937. The list, compiled with a typewriter, is kept in the archives of the Jewish Museum in Frankfurt. No information is available about its creation.
- Vgl. Chewra Kadischa e.V., Land Brandenburg: Jüdischer Friedhof in Bad Freienwalde, unter:
- Vgl. SCHMOOK, Reinhard: Ortskapitel Oderbruch, in: DIEKMANN, Irene A. (Hrsg.), Jüdisches Brandenburg, Geschichte und Gegenwart, Berlin 2008, Seite 246 – 253
- Vgl. Jüdisches Museum Frankfurt: Personenstandsregister jüdischer Gemeinden in Mitteldeutschland, unter: https://www.juedischesmuseum.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Bilder/Sammlungsseiten/dokumente-fotografien/personenstandsregister-juedische-gemeinden-mitteldeutschland.pdf
|Entry 1 to 108 of 108 entries|
Zurück zur Übersicht