Directory of cemeteries and gravestones
In the past, one could say: "Go through the cemetery of a place and you know its inhabitants". Unfortunately, this is no longer the case today. Since everything has to "pay off" and only money counts, everything that is 3 days over the resting period is usually rigorously removed. And if there are still old graves, they are often in such a desolate condition that it is only a matter of time before they collapse. In discussions one always hears only "no money". But the fact that these graves are also part of our culture is apparently not perceived in our capitalist world.
Since gravestones are also excellent genealogical sources, we have decided to bundle the collection of inscriptions from gravestones and to process them in a database. All of our entries so far do not claim to be complete. In the beginning, partly already years ago, the cemeteries were often only searched for known names and not or less systematically. This has changed in the meantime. But depending on the size of the cemetery, it is often simply not possible to photograph every stone, apart from possible legal questions concerning current graves.
Who can join in?
The Brandenburg Cemetery Directory is an open project of the Brandenburg Genealogical Society "Roter Adler" e.V. Not only members of our society but also all other interested people can participate. In this directory you will not only find information about the respective cemetery itself but also information about the gravestones there.
Who can view the data collected?
Each submitter of data can decide for themselves whether the transcripts are to be displayed in full or only as a name index.
How can I participate?
Of course, not all cemeteries in historic Brandenburg and information on the gravestones belonging to them have been recorded yet, and many cemeteries have only been recorded with their "raw data". However, we are working on a further recording and would be pleased to hear from anyone who can support us in this.
You want to participate? Then proceed as follows:
- Check our cemetery directory to see which cemeteries have already been registered or for which cemeteries gravestones have already been registered in order to avoid possible duplication of work.
- Take photos of the cemetery of your choice and the gravestones that can (still) be found there. You are welcome to use our tips and tricks on how to proceed in the most sensible way.
- Download the sample table for recording gravestones and record the gravestones you have photographed there.
- You can send us photos of the cemeteries or gravestones as well as the collected data by e-mail (a larger number of photos can also be sent via a link to a cloud or another uploader). We will then reply as soon as possible, integrate the submitted data into our database and take care of the backup of your photos as proof of the collected data. For this purpose, we only claim a simple right of use over the pictures, while the copyright naturally remains with the respective photographer.
Helpful links for photographers and authors:
- Our conditions of participation
- Sample table for recording gravestones
- Tips and tricks for photographing gravestones
At present, this directory contains information on 2035 cemeteries.
|Entry 1 to 44 of 44 entries|